- What are Listservs?
- Listservs are tools that will allow MBA members to share ideas, legal forms, and important information through discussion threads that can be accessed through the member’s email or the Member Center on the MBA’s website: https://www.memphisbar.org/.
- How do I post to a listserv?
- You have the option of posting to the listserv either by emailing email@example.com or by using the website's ListViewer.
- How do I join a listserv?
- You must be a part of the Family Law Section in order to be placed on the listserv. If believe you are not on the listerv by mistake, please contact Erin Odea.
- Not receiving listserv messages? Here are some tips:
- Check your List Settings here to ensure you are either set to 'Normal' or 'Digest' mode. If you have not certified your email address, you will be prompted to do so by entering in your email address and clicking the link emailed to you.
- Listserv Messages Going to Spam/Junk - The most common reason members do not receive their listserv message is because they are being marked as spam or junk by your email client. To resolve this, run a search for "TrialSmith" across ALL of your mail folders to see if you can locate a recent message. If you are able to locate a message, you will then need to mark the message as not spam (This process will vary depending on your email application).
- Office 365 Quarantine - Office 365/Microsoft Exchange email hosting services have begun to routinely block list server mail messages due to their automated scanning systems. Messages are received at Office 365 and then routed to a special quarantine area which you cannot see within Outlook or other email clients. Users are also reporting, upon inspection of this hidden quarantine, that many messages from good senders are being blocked by Office 365/Microsoft Exchange, so it might be worth your administrator’s time to review your quarantine area within Office 365. View instructions on how to resolve this issue.
By joining and using the MBA’s listservs, you agree that you have read and will abide by the rules and policies set for these listservs. This is a great medium with which to solicit the advice of your peers, benefit from their experience, and participate in an ongoing conversation. Please take a moment to acquaint yourself with these important rules and policies. The MBA reserves the right to suspend or terminate membership on all lists for members who violate these rules. If you have questions, please contact Anne Fritz at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- When sending messages use a meaningful subject line. State concisely and clearly the specific topic of the discussion in the subject line. This is a time-saver for all participants. Listserv participants will know if something can wait, or if they are not interested in the subject matter, they can delete the message.
- Do not post commercial or political messages. Commercial messages include notifications of CLE events offered by any entity aside from the Memphis Bar Association. Political purposes include supporting, endorsing, or opposing any candidate for political office or for any position within the MBA. Contact people directly with products, programs, and/or services that you believe would be of interest to them. Discussions regarding proposed legislation or changes to the law are permitted. Listserv posts are not the official position of the MBA.
- Post your message or documents only to the most appropriate listservs and discussion threads. Do not spam several lists or threads with the same message. If you have a new topic, start a new message.
- Be polite, professional, and civil. Do not challenge or attack others. The discussions on these listservs are meant to stimulate conversation, not to create contention. If you have a conflict with an individual, please settle it by private email.
- Include a signature tag on all messages. Include only the relevant portions of the original message in your reply, delete any header information, and put your response before the original posting.
- Warn other list subscribers of lengthy messages. Either in the subject line or at the beginning of the message body with a line that says: “Long Message.”
- Do not post anything you do not want to be seen in public. Remember that email is very easily forwarded and reproduced and can show up anywhere. Do not post anything in a listserv message that you would not want the world to see, or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- All defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials are strictly prohibited.
- Do not send meaningless messages with no content. Messages such as “thanks for the information” or “me, too” to individuals--not to the entire list. Do this by using your email application’s forwarding option and typing in or cutting and pasting in the email address of the individual to whom you want to respond. All messages must add to the body of knowledge. We reserve the right to reject any message for any reason.
- Do not send administrative messages through the listserv. Messages such as “remove me from the list,” should not be sent. If you wish to unsubscribe from the listserv, please go to the bottom of any listserv email and click on "send an email" to send a leave message to the list or click "edit your settings" to unsubscribe yourself:
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on the listserv is available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws.
- Remember that other participants have the right to reproduce postings to this site, unless you specify otherwise.
These listservs are provided as a service from the MBA for paying section members. The MBA accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this site by others. The MBA disclaims all warranties with regard to information posted on this site, whether posted by the MBA or any third party; this disclaimer includes all implied warranties of merchantability and fitness. In no event shall the MBA be liable for any special, indirect, or consequential damages or any damages whatsoever resulting from loss of use, data, or profits, arising out of or in connection with the use or performance of any information posted on this site.
Do not post any defamatory, abusive, profane, threatening, offensive, or illegal materials. Do not post any information or other material protected by copyright without the permission of the copyright owner. By posting material, the posting party warrants and represents that he or she owns the copyright with respect to such material or has received permission from the copyright owner. In addition, the posting party grants the MBA and any listserv participants the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print, and use such information or other material.
Messages should not be posted if they encourage or facilitate members to arrive at any agreement that either expressly or impliedly leads to price fixing, a boycott of another’s business, or other conduct intended to illegally restrict free trade.
The MBA does not actively monitor the site for inappropriate postings and does not on its own undertake editorial control of postings. However, in the event that any inappropriate posting is brought to the MBA’s attention, the MBA will take all appropriate action.
The MBA reserves the right to terminate access to any user who does not abide by these guidelines.
We respect your privacy
Any personal information you provide to us including and similar to your name, address, telephone number and e-mail address will not be released, sold, or rented to any entities or individuals outside of our organization.
Remember the Risks Whenever You Use the Internet
While we do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us, and you are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of any passwords or other account information. In addition, other Internet sites or services that may be accessible through our Site have separate data and privacy practices independent of us, and therefore we disclaim any responsibility or liability for their policies or actions. Please contact those vendors and others directly, if you have any questions about their privacy policies.