The Memphis Bar Association provides this information as a public service. The Memphis Bar Association does not endorse any individual attorneys. The Memphis Bar Association does not make any guarantees about the results a particular attorney may obtain, make any warranties about the attorneys listed on this site, or make any representations that an attorney has any specialized expertise. The information contained on this site is reported by the individual attorneys listed and is not verified by the Memphis Bar Association.
Search using the tool below:
Tips for Hiring an Attorney
If you have read through our section on whether or not you need a lawyer - below are a list of tips to consider when hiring legal help.
- Have a clear understanding about what you hope to accomplish by meeting with an attorney – take a moment to identify and write down your goals.
- Ask for recommendations from your friends, coworkers, or relatives. If you know any attorneys, ask them to suggest attorneys who handle your type of case. You may also search for an attorney who is a Memphis Bar Association member by using the form below.
- Figure out the area of law where you need help. For example, if you were fired from your job, you would want an attorney who handles plaintiff’s employment claims.
- Prepare a list of questions that you want to ask the attorney, such as whether they have handled any cases similar to yours and if so, what was the outcome; how long it will take to resolve the case; whether there are other options to resolve the case, such as mediation.
- Discuss costs – make sure you understand how and for what the attorney will be paid. Ask for a written fee agreement so there are no misunderstandings on either side.
- Come prepared – bring any papers or documents relevant to the matter or contact information for witnesses.
You can check whether an attorney is in good standing with the Tennessee Board of Professional Responsibility by clicking here.