What is the Leadership Forum?
The mission of the Memphis Bar Association’s Leadership Forum is to:
- Develop the leadership skills of attorneys in their early years of practice;
- Empower those attorneys to use their leadership skills to make greater contributions to the Memphis community and the legal profession;
- Model and practice the highest standards of the legal profession; and
- Encourage diversity in the practice of law and the building of relationships among attorneys of diverse backgrounds.
How does the Leadership Forum Work?
The Leadership Forum begins with a full-day retreat on Friday, September 14, 2012 at which leadership concepts will be introduced and participants will get to know one another. Monthly sessions through April 2013 will explore such topics as:
- Communication Skills
- Conflict Resolution
- Attorneys’ Role in the Community
- Balancing Work and Life
Sessions are scheduled in the afternoon and are approved for CLE credit. Participants are required to attend the retreat and miss no more than two of the monthly sessions. The Forum concludes with a graduation ceremony in May.
The monthly sessions are held at various locations around the city, to acquaint participants with the services and programs offered by community organizations. Representatives of these organizations are invited to make a brief presentation and give tours of the facility. Some of the visited facilities include MIFA, the National Civil Rights Museum, St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital and Bridges, Inc.
In addition, participants are divided into smaller groups, each of which is charged with developing and implementing a community service project during the Forum. Each group works with a mentor who has been a participant in the Leadership Forum.
The "Award-Winning" Leadership Forum
In a survey conducted by the ABA Division for Bar Services in January of 2008, the Leadership Forum was rated the #1 service/benefit provided by the Memphis Bar Association. The Leadership Forum received an E. Smythe Gambrell Professionalism Award from the ABA in 2006 as a model professionalism program. When asked to rate the most important things they learned from their experience, graduates have said:
- “The Leadership Forum helped encourage me to pursue leadership roles and taught me practical leadership skills that make me more effective in these roles.”
- “How much impact one person can make.”
- “Forming lasting relationships with a great group of young leaders.”
- “Greater understanding and appreciation of the Memphis legal community.”
- “A reminder that what lawyers do and how they do it really does make a difference in the community.”
Who is Eligible?
Any Memphis Bar Association member who will be in his/her third to eighth year of practice during the Forum may apply. Class size is limited to 24. Participants will be selected to insure diversity in terms of practice area, type of practice, size of firm, law school attended, race, and gender.
What is the Cost?
Tuition is $575. A limited number of scholarships are available. Contact Anne Fritz at the MBA firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a scholarship application.
How Do I Apply?
Complete and submit the application package by 5:00 p.m. on July 31, 2012. The Steering Committee will review applications and notify participants no later than August 17, 2012.
Applications may be submitted by MAIL to Anne Fritz, Executive Director; Memphis Bar Association; 145 Court Ave; Memphis, TN 38103; by FAX, (901) 527-3582; ONLINE or by EMAIL to email@example.com.
PRINT AN APPLICATION NOW
APPLY ONLINE NOW
In the News...
Click here to read an article that appeared in the September 24, 2009 edition of The Daily News regarding the 2009-2010 Leadership Forum class retreat.
"Retreat Designed to Spur Civility Among Lawyers" by Rebekah Hearn